[mythtv-users] Occasional hard freezes

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:37:01 EDT 2005

I thought I had finally gotten this fixed with the kernel option nolapic,
but it happened to me again. I am experiencing hard lock ups that seem to be
related to high data throughput, but aren't consistent enough for me to
track down. When it freezes, only hitting the reset or power button fixes
it.

I have an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard with an AMD Barton 2500+ in it. It
has a nforce northbridge. I am passing the kernel "acpi=no noapic nolapic".
I'm running 2.6.11-6mdk. I have one PVR 150. I have two hard drives, running
LVM to make one video share. I'm running ivtv 0.3.9

What happens is a hard lock up. It generally happens when I'm exercising the
ethernet hard. Possibly related is that my nfs speed sucks, despite being
gigabit on both sides. I'm not, however, pushing it insanely hard. An
example would copying files to it while watching a movie. A recording might
start and suddenly hard lock. It does not always require a recording to
start however.

There is no other computer on the network, and I have a D-Link gigabit
router, but I still get frequent time outs. It's almost as though the hard
drives are just completely swamped, but I can't find a reason why they
should be. Sometimes even simple things like listing a directory can take
quite a while.

The file system is reiserfs, the first drive is a ST3200822A, the second is
a ST3250823A. They aren't running particularly hot, and smartd isn't
reporting bad errors. One of the disks had a few bad sectors that I had the
tool replace with reserved sectors.

Can anyone give any advice on where to go from here?