[mythtv-users] Multi-card setup with only two cards allowed to record

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Oct 28 09:27:42 EDT 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:

>>    I've been looking around and can't seem to find the info i'm looking for so
>>maybe someone can help. I have a server setup with the mythtv backend and have
>>2 pvr-250 cards in it; I also have two separate frontend units each with a
>>wintv-go card in them. What i want to do is to have recordings only occur on
>>the two pvr-250 cards in the server, I want the two cards in the frontends to
>>be used as a local tuner for that frontend only. Does that make sense? The
>>reasoning behind this is because if the cards in the frontends start recording
>>then the frontend becomes really slow and sometimes locks-up. So i only want
>>the cards in the server to do the recording, and the cards in the frontends for
>>tv viewing only for that specific frontend. Is this possible? Thanks in advance
>>for any help you guys could offer!
>>

>I could be wrong on this, but I think tuner cards are a backend
>function (even for Live TV), not a frontend one, so I don't think you
>can do what you're proposing. If you want extra tuner cards I think
>they all have to go in the backend.

Any machine can run the mythbackend process and/or the mythfrontend
process.  If he runs this on his frontend, then it is also a backend.
As for his original question, there is no way to force those cards to be
reserved for LiveTV only.  You can set them to be lowest priority for
recordings and make sure never to schedule more than 2 recordings at a
time and they effectively will not be used.

Kevin