[mythtv-users] (slightly OT) improving wireless connections

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 28 14:27:29 EDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:15:23 -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>Nelson Tang wrote:
>>So, my question is, is there a good way to improve my wireless signal?
>> Any placement tips, antenna orientation, etc.?  Any references online
>>I can read?  If it matters, the two stations are a Linksys WRT54G with
>>a Sveasoft firmware (don't remember which version offhand) on the
>>FE/BE and a Netgear WGT624v2.
>>

>Get a range expander to rebroadcast your signal.  Put it on the floor of
>the house between the backend and frontend.

It wouldbe much cheaper to build a directional antenna to focus the
transmissions in the right direction.

Check out the wireless hardware links page at www.seattlewireless.net.

Great discussions about antenna parameters and examples of how to build
your own.

To start with however, you should ensure that your existing antenna are
oriented correctly. IIRC, the antennas which come with, for example, the
Linksys router are intended to stand vertically so that they project
omni-directionally *in a horizontal plane*. Maybe you will get a better
signal just by putting both antenna horizontal.

The cheapest upgrade is to built a parabolic reflector or corner reflector
for the antenna on your wireless router. See the goodies at

           www.freeantennas.com

and build your own with some cardboard or card stock and aluminum foil.
The *only* critical dimension is getting the existing antenna in the
correct place relative to the reflector.

G.
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638