[mythtv-users] Hardware Woes

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Oct 28 23:39:01 EDT 2005

The only obvious thing that comes to mind is to check that any hard
drives that are involved in streaming are actually using dma.  I.E.

hdparm /dev/hda

Beyond that, in no particular order...
1) Are you running a good video card driver?  (Perhaps a binary driver
from your hardware vendor?)
2) Is your kernel configured for preemption?  Sometimes that can help,
and occasionally, it can even hurt, but the second is mostly due to some
other buggy driver.
3) There are options to use DRI(sp?) [Direct Rendering] and such for
video cards.  I've never been ambitious enough to get them working as I
haven't had the need, but with hdtv you might have the need.  I believe
that also requires some kernel configuration.
4) Are program versions actually compiled with support for the P4?
Things run a bit faster if programs use all the processors native
instructions rather than say only those that would work on a generic
686.  I tend to doubt this is the cause of your problem though.

Good luck,
-Robert