[mythtv-users] Window Managers - Success with "ratpoison" instead of kde

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 01:39:20 EDT 2005

I use a window manager on my MythTV machine (which is
dedicated to MythTV) because external applications
like xine won't get proper focus sometimes without a
window manager.

It's a pain to try to play a DVD in xine, and have it
behind the MythTV UI.

-- Joe

--- James Grant <topace at lightbox.org> wrote:

> I don't get why people even use a WM (for a
> dedicated mythtv box)... I run
> mythtv perfect without any overhead from a windows
> manager...
>
> on x:tty7 (in my inittab) i have
> /home/mythtv/startup.sh
>
> which contains:
>
> /path/to/X &
> sleep 8
> /path/to/mythfrontend
>

> this has the added advantage, that if mythfrontend
> crashes (which it does from
> time to time) the script will exit, and inittab will
> recycle tty7 and start
> the script again, thus bringing the frontend right
> back up automagically.
>
> maybe not Linux Standards Base compliant, but works
> like a charm :)
>
> James
>
> On Saturday 29 October 2005 12:06 am, Support [ Ian
> Ward ] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had been meaning to try this for ages, but was
> bored today so I
> > thought I would risk WAF & FAF
> >
> > I have a master backend/frontend running on FC3, I
> use my FC4
> > workstation as a frontend when the family insist
> on watching soap.
> >
> > ratpoison makes alot of sense as kde is such a
> beast.
> > I also took the opportunity to change the way the
> frontend is spawned so
> > that on the odd occasion it crashes, you don't
> need to get up off the
> > lounge to "control-alt-backspace" the X
> > I have gdm set to autologon after 5 seconds.
> >
> > The newest prebuilt rpm I could find was here:

ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/projects/newrpms/www/htdocs/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc2/RPM