[mythtv-users] Looking for advice moving to DVB-S

Joe Ammann joe at pyx.ch
Sat Oct 29 18:41:50 EDT 2005

Hi all

I'm a happy user of Myth since 2+ years with 2 analog tuners (PVR 350). Now I
will be trying to move to DVB-S. I never owned a satellite receiver before
(not even without Myth), so please bear with me if some questions are just
too stupid :-)

Moving to DVB-S means buying a satellite dish and a DVB-S card, right? I wont
need one of these fancy boxes that normally come as a "satellite receiver"
together with a dish? Does anybody know if there are offerings here in
Switzerland for "only a dish" ? (I was not yet able to find one)

Hauppauge seems to be a good choice, judging from the reports on the lists. Is
there any point in buying a full-featured Nexus as opposed to a Nova (or
other budget card)? I will continue to watch shows via my normal Nvidia video
card and LCD screen. So I don't need a full featured card, right?

How is recording of 2 concurrent shows done? Do I need 2 DVB-S cards (I guess
so). Do I also need 2 satellite dishes??

I will buy at least one, maybe 2 (legal) CAM modules. Are there any gotchas or
can I just plug them into the CI and Myth will work happily? Is all the
decrypting done on the card/driver? Are there well supported cards with
multiple CI slots?

Is there anything else I have to think of? I guess my 2.4 GHz Pentium will be
more than adequate to handle this (just as now with my PVR 350's).

I did some researching, but I just want to confirm that I got the basic ideas
right of this undertaking that is totally new to me :-)

CU, Joe