[mythtv-users] pvr350 URW font downgrade woes

Joshua Fechner phekno at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 22:26:35 EDT 2005

I just installed mythtv using Jarod's guide which was very helpful. I'm
using my PVR-350 as my TV out and initially everything worked fine.
Recently, however, after reading this list I did the URW font downgrade as
described in this list. When I did the downgrade, I wasn't able to do the
last command (the one that starts with apt-get) and the /etc/apt/preference
file was non-existent. I was not concerned because I know that it is mainly
to test whether or not the downgrade worked. Anyway, I rebooted my system
and when it came back up the output to my TV was scrambled. There were
images there but nothing inteligible in order to actually use my system.
Anyway, I can't seem to find out whats wrong in order to fix it and was
wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions. I am running FC4 on a
PIII 933, 1.11 GB RAM, 60 GB HDD, PVR-350 using TV out.
 ----------------------BEGIN
xorg.confcode----------------------------------------
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
# ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
# ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
# ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"

# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
# Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "NTSC Monitor"
ModelName "Unknown monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 68.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
ModeLine "720x480" 34.6 720 752 840 928 480 484 488 504 -hsync -vsy$
EndSection

Section "Device"

### change fb1 to whatever your card grabbed
### converted from hex to decimal
# lspci says 00:08.0
### More examples
#BusID "PCI:0:10:0" # lspci says 00:0a.0
#BusID "PCI:1:14:0" # lspci says 01:0e.0
#BusID "PCI:0:5:1" # lspci says 00:05.1
Identifier "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
Driver "ivtvdev"
BoardName "Unknown video card"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
Option "ivtv" "/dev/fb0"
BusID "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"

Device "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
Monitor "NTSC Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
DefaultFbBPP 32
SubSection "Display"