[mythtv-users] NVidia TV-Out, how high can I set my expectations

Chad Johnson chadjamesjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 14:49:56 EST 2005

Hello - I have a bit of a subjective question here and I'm looking for
some opinions.  I recently put together a Myth box and I'm using the
S-Video out for SDTV.  I purchased a Chaintech Geforce FX 5200
(Fanless, and NOT low profile) :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145095

Here's where I don't know how high to put my expectations.  When
running the console, or running a simple X session, or playing a movie
through Mplayer I can't say I'm too terribly pleased with the quality
of the TV-Out from the vid card.  It doesn't compare at all to the
CLARITY I can get from either my existing DVD player or even standard
cable straight from the wall.

The TV-Out from the Chaintech seems to have what I can only call
interference in the picture.  Basically I can see what I'll call
interference lines being drawn in a pattern over the picture.
Generally speaking these lines are subtle but obnoxious.  These lines
seem to flicker back and forth a bit.  I'm not talking interlace
flicker though I just describing how to these lines move.  Before you
ask here's the s-video cable I'm using :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6825885&type=product&id=1091101680940

After all that, can I expect picture clarity on par with a DVD player
coming from an Nvidia card?  Do I just have a bum card?

(fyi, I'm using one of the many NTSC'like modelines for X that can be
found in the list archives here)

-Chad Johnson