[mythtv-users] A warning about Samsung HDDs

Brady liquidgecka at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 22:26:03 EST 2005

Let me chime in on this..

I worked for a large fortune 500 company a few years back. We did
product qualification on virtually every computer component known to
man. Mainboards, Hard Drives, PDAs, etc. The Hard Drive testing was
slick. We would hammer a hard drive until it died in order to make
sure that our products wouldn't be the failure points. During this
time I saw every major brand fail in ways that you can only dream of.
Spindle locks, head contact, 5V feedback that caused small fires, etc.

Anyways, on with my point. Without disclosing anything that is
protected by NDA I must say that I found out three major things during
this time. Do not buy Deskstar series hard drives. Western Digital,
while only average on there drive quality, ranks pretty high for there
support department, and Seagate drives are unpredictable. Not in the
way you would think though. I could tell you exact ways to fail any
drive except a Seagate. Run the voltage a little high and then run the
clock a little slow and some drives would fail in 30 hours of constant
testing. Seagates on the other hand defied most failure reproduction.
While they didn't usually last longer than other drives they typically
failed in boring ways. Things like cache failure or just plain old
power down failure. Most times we could recover the drives.

Why do I even mention this you ask? Well, I felt that Seagate drives
where just well built enough to withstand the tests we put them
through and tended to only fail due to normal "wear and tear." There
was no easy way to kill a Seagate. They seemed a little more bullet
proof than other drives.

Anyways.. Its late (I think, I just moved across a time zone boundary
and then day light savings happened.. I have no clue what time it is
anymore) and I am starting my new job tomorrow so I should stop
ranting.