[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie needs TV card recommendation

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 30 23:41:48 EST 2005

Alex Thomas wrote:

> I have a spare machine that I am planning on using for a mythtv box.
> It is a 933mhz P3.
> Does anyone have a recomendation for at TV card. Can get a good deal
> on a WinFast TV2000 XP Expert. Is this a good card or is there
> something better, (and reasonably priced)?

I highly recommend the Hauppauge PVR-150--especially on a 933MHz P3.
The 150 does hardware encoding, but the TV2000 forces you to use your
CPU to do the encoding.  On your P3, that won't leave much room for
anything else--like watching TV, commercial flagging, transcoding, etc.

You can probably get a PVR-150 for about $75 if you shop around (or as
low as $60 if you're really good at shopping), and, IMHO, it's worth the
extra over frame grabbers (software encoders like the TV2000).

Mike