[mythtv-users] Upgrade backend system from FC3 to FC4?

Shaun Lowry shaun at lowry.me.uk
Mon Oct 31 10:48:05 EST 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Shaun Lowry wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience upgrading a Fedora Core 3 based
>> mythbackend to
>> Fedora Core 4?  I find, because of requirements not replated to the myth
>> install, I need to upgrade my backend to run FC4 (specifically to get
>> the latest
>> MySQL and PHP) and wondered what the least painful way to go was.  It was
>> initially set up using Jarod Wilson's guide for FC3...
>>

> Since I'm a fan of the "ain't broke, don't fix it" philosopy.  Why not
> run your DB and Mythweb on a secondary box (older parts lying around
> perhaps?) and eliminate the upgrade requirement for your backend.

I like the philosophy too (which is why it's remained on FC3 too long) but the
problem is I have a whole bunch of spare-parts PCs that I'm trying to retire as
they're getting unreliable, and the mythbackend machine is rock-solid and well
overpowered for what it's currently doing.  I'm in the process of consolidating
a few functions onto the myth backend box to eliminate extra machines.  If the
worst comes to the worst, I'll backup the database and do a clean install of FC4
and hope it picks up the RAID LVM with the video partition on it :)

	Shaun.