[mythtv-users] partitioning for second hard drive???

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:49:49 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/05, Nada De nada <marromzinho02 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to increas my video storage capcity. I
> > attached a new hard drive.. and I would like to know
> > if there is an easy way to set up Fedora and partition
> > the new hard drive...also once I do that.. how can I
> > link my video partition dev/hda5 (jfs format) to the
> > new drive
> >
> > Thanks

<snip/>
>  Do you want to combine the two drives into one larger partition, or do you
> want to replace the partition you have with the new drive, and use your old
> partition for something else?
>
>  If you want to combine the drives (Say, you have 50GB now on /dev/hda5 and
> you have 250GB on /dev/hdb and you want to have 300GB on /mnt/video) you
> should look into LVM, which is surprisingly easy to set up.  I believe you
> can grow  and shrink jfs.
>   If you want to replace it, it's easier.  Here are the general steps, use
> man for exact parameters:

JFS and XFS do not shrink.  they only grow.  there is a pretty
extensive thread in the archives regarding this.  if you need to be
able to shrink your partition it is recommended that you use reiserFS.

if you're interested in using LVM, here is a fairly quick and easy How-to:
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo

even though it specifies KnoppMyth as the distro it should work fine
with all distros...