[mythtv-users] Help Diskless frontend

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Oct 31 14:56:05 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 12:29, Alberto Alonso wrote:
> You may have seen my references to using a diskless
> base using Knoppmyth.
>
> Currently I'm still trying to fix a few things, in particular
> large memory usage which I don't know where it comes from.
>
> The setup is an Epia M6000 (fanless), which has MPEG 2 decoder
> built in. It also has PXE capabilities, so I don't have to use
> etherboot.
>
> I installed Knoppmyth while a HD was attached to it (Knoppmyth
> R5A16 has been the only thing so far where I've got the Epia
> working with hardware accel. and matching my back end) Then
> I copied the install to the NFS server, did a new kernel
> and got a working system.
>
> Once the problems are fixed, I want to write some more
> detailed documentation, but for now I can answer specific
> questions.
>
> I guess this is a good time to ask, how many people would want
> that kind of document?

I would be interested.  Have been researching how to setup a diskless
frontend system for a few weeks.  Been looking at the epia boards.  I
take that on the epia M10000 the s-video connection can be used going to
the TV along with the audio outputs?  And this utilizes the mpeg 2
decoder?

Will this support playing a DVD as well?

>From http://www.jdr.com

Item Number  	Product Name   					Price
CASE-MITX-BA	Mini-ITX Black Aluminum Case			$164.88
DDR512LP-2100	DDR, 512MB, PC2100, Low Profile			$179.88
EPIA-M10000	VIA Mini-ITX Motherboard with 1.0GHz C3 CPU	$184.88

Just need to add a DVD drive to this and the cables.

Have not shopped around yet.  Paid about this much for a slave
backend/frontend using a micro ATX board that I built minus the PVR
cards.