[mythtv-users] Better looking playback?

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:09:34 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
>
> > Ok so i'm using bitrate of 5500 with a max of 8,000. Kernel
> > deinterlacing (which is best?). It looks better but could be better.
> > It's probably because the tv is so big. We'll see.
>
> That's probably about the best you can get. You're limited by a) NTSC
> (as already discussed) and b) the electronics in the PVR-250. In
> theory, it may be possible to get a slightly better picture with a
> PVR-150 (it has newer and better electronics), but the amount of
> improvement is probably not worth the cost to you. You may find that
> you get about the same quality at 4000/6500 or even 4000/5500 (even with
> the additional bitrate, the other limitations have probably maxed out
> your quality before using the available bits).
>
> I've been recording at 2200/9800 (it never actually uses that headroom,
> 1 1/3 times average bitrate is more appropriate, but that actually
> exists within the range and I was too lazy to change it), and my
> recordings looked great on my 27" NTSC piece of junk TV, but I can
> definitely see artifacts on my new 67" 1920x1080 DLP. I'm impressed
> that it doesn't look worse than it does with the amount of
> magnification. However, I haven't changed my bitrate as motivation to
> get my HDTV antenna/cabling/amps/splitter/4xHD-3000 rig in place.
> (Which I won't be doing tonight. Handing out candy to
> trick-or-treaters... :( )

Amen to that. To bad newegg had to ship my stuff separate. Still waiting on
my new case. So how do i get better resolution coming out of my 5200. Right
now i beleive it's at 1024x768. How would i go about outputting 1920x1080 to
my tv? Also, would a higher resolution make those artifacts worse or better?
If worse would going to 800x600 be better? And i'm thinking about picking up
that 6 dollar cable that's rgb to component and trying it out in the
bedroom. Hope it works. And 67", nice, only 52" here.

Mike

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell