[mythtv-users] Foxtel digital picture quality

Joshua King jkingkard-hotmail at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 1 03:12:44 UTC 2005

On 1/9/05 7:30 AM, "Kent Williams" <kent2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I've been using DVB with myth for quite some time now here in Sydney
> (almost 2 years), and I'm now looking at getting a PVR150 cards to
> capture Foxtel Digital via s-video.

I capture via composite into a PVR150 here (I don't think my cabling
arrangement allows me to use s-video).

> I've seen Foxtel Digital mentioned in the archives a few times, and was
> wondering what people have found the picture quality like. Does anyone
> have any sample clips?

I can e-mail you a link to a sample clip later tonight (AWST) if you want,
along with the profile settings used to record it (I'm getting about ~1.2GB
an hour IIRC).

> I'm worried that now I'm used to the excellent picture quality of DVB
> that I'll be disappointed with Foxtel Digital captured over s-video. :)

You will be disappointed, especially on anything over a standard TV, but
that's without introducing MythTV. Foxtel is inherently less resolution/less
bitrate from the satellite. (Noticeably so in my opinion) (FWIW don't blame
the fact that I'm using composite, the other box uses RGB SCART while its
very crisp in the menu system, the television isn't improved much.)

> It is frustrating that Foxtel now provide their Foxtel-IQ pvr solution,
> but no legal way to capture the digital streams for us Myth users :(

My Myth box works, from what I keep reading, the iQ doesn't half the time,
so I wouldn't be paying the money -- don't hold your breath for a legal
solution :(

Joshua King