[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Thu Sep 1 16:44:03 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:29 -0400, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>  	I think where you are getting confused is that the HD3000 is three
> cards in one:\

Not only that, but it appears that different types of signals can be
handled by the same physical input port. The card has only one coax
port, but if it can handle both digital and analog cable, it follows
that it magically detects which signal is on the coax port and does the
right thing with it? Or is this determined by which driver is loaded?

I'm now hazarding a guess; unless I'm still confused, if one uses the
V4L drivers with this card, that works if you have an analog SD signal
(I know this works because I have done it), and the DVB drivers would be
required if you have a digital signal, but it's the same physical coax
port in either case. Am I getting closer now? This probably also
explains why I have never been able to get the DVB drivers to work: I
don't have a digital signal. All this time I thought QAM was analog
cable which is why I am so terribly confused about all of this.

It does matter though, because I have this card still in my system even
though it is not currently being used. The PVR-150 in the same system is
doing the work now. But I'd like to use both cards if I can. I could
either hook up an antenna to the HD3000 and use it for capturing HD OTA
signals (maybe later as I don't have an HD-capable TV yet), or just hook
it to the same analog cable signal as the PVR-150 is using, and use it
as a second tuner for PIP or for watching one program while recording
another (all the usual reasons why one might want multiple tuners). But,
if my confusion is less than it was before, it looks like those two uses
of the card would require different drivers. Is that correct?

Thank you for helping me become less confused, or at least confused on a
higher plane :-)

--Greg