[mythtv-users] safely exposing mythweb to the net.

Frank Lynch frank.lynch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:58:46 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,
I'm really starting to like my MythTV box, this is a great project!
In case its relevant I'm running myth 18.1 on Fedora Core 4.

I'd like to be able to access mythweb from the public Internet (so
that I can schedule recordings when I'm not at home etc..). With this
in mind I cretaed an account with dyndns.org, and configured port
forwarding on my router.

I'm guessing that my next step should be to harden my Apache
configuration? should I enable https? are there any other precautions
that I should be taking? The last thing I want is some dirty hacker
having their evil-way with my mythbox!

If this covered in a howto or some other doc I'd appreciate a pointer.
I searched, but I couldn't find anything that covers this specific
topic... I saw the article on tunnelling through ssh[1], but I'd
rather have a solution that my wife could use (she can certainly use a
https site with a user name/password, but its a bit much to ask her to
tunnel over ssh).

thanks,
--Frank

[1]  http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythWebSSHTunnelHowto