[mythtv-users] HD3000 and High-Def

Chris Cox, N0UK chrisc at BritishCarAndDriver.Com
Thu Sep 1 19:44:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>  	With that in mind, there are probably limitations on how much of
> the card can be used at once.  In other words, it's probably not possible
> to simultaneously record an OTA HDTV signal while capturing SDTV via the
> svideo input... the CX88 chip would have to do two things at once, which
> it probably cannot do.  I also suspect that periodically, driver changes
> to fix the HDTV mode of the card break the SDTV mode... since the SDTV
> isn't any differe/better than a $20 cheapo framegrabber.

Cory et al.

I could be wrong here, but I am fairly sure that your use of SD to as an
alias for VSB is not correct.  SD and HD are both digital formats and not
analog, the difference being the resolution.  Conventional frame-grabber
cards don't and can't do SD. They do as you correctly said earlier,
receive and digitise a 6MHz wide VSB signal.  The video they output may be
of the same resolution as SD, but thats really just coincidental.

 --
73  Chris Cox, N0UK  email: chrisc at chris.org or Alice at BritishCarAndDriver.Com

 Home Page: http://WWW.BritishCarAndDriver.Com   http://www.pingjockey.net

  Come and join us here in Minnesota, July 27th 2006, for the 40th annual
   Central States VHF Society Conference, hosted once again by the NLRS.