[mythtv-users] safely exposing mythweb to the net.

Rod Rod at Rods.id.au
Fri Sep 2 00:20:54 UTC 2005

Frank Lynch wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>I'm really starting to like my MythTV box, this is a great project!
>In case its relevant I'm running myth 18.1 on Fedora Core 4.
>
>I'd like to be able to access mythweb from the public Internet (so
>that I can schedule recordings when I'm not at home etc..). With this
>in mind I cretaed an account with dyndns.org, and configured port
>forwarding on my router.
>
>I'm guessing that my next step should be to harden my Apache
>configuration? should I enable https? are there any other precautions
>that I should be taking? The last thing I want is some dirty hacker
>having their evil-way with my mythbox!
>
>If this covered in a howto or some other doc I'd appreciate a pointer.
>I searched, but I couldn't find anything that covers this specific
>topic... I saw the article on tunnelling through ssh[1], but I'd
>rather have a solution that my wife could use (she can certainly use a
>https site with a user name/password, but its a bit much to ask her to
>tunnel over ssh).
>
>thanks,
>--Frank
>
>[1]  http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythWebSSHTunnelHowto

    Hi, I have mythweb on a 2nd computer (firewall) and mythbackend on a
internal machine, apart from securing with passwords and stuff, you only
have to setup mythweb to point to the MySQL database (if this is what
your using) and everything is happy.

    And because my ISP has blocked certain ports to the public (mail
server, web server) I have had to move the web server port to get around
those "blocks"... but now sitting here at work, I can hear about a TV
show I didn't know about comming up, and bring online my web page and
"book" that program into the schedule ;o)