[mythtv-users] safely exposing mythweb to the net.

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 02:39:37 UTC 2005

On 9/1/05, John P. Hoke <john.hoke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/05, Marty Ravell <mythtv at rave-tech.com.au> wrote:
> >

> > Would it be possible perhaps to use the firewall's Apache to talk to the
> Myth box for MythWeb? Does the MythWeb web server need to be on the same
> machine as the MythTV installation?
>

>  Take a look at apache's reverse proxy features... I use them for a number
> of things in the same situation as you are in... This way you can have
> MythWeb on the MythTV box, but access it via the existing firewall/webserver
>
>  Google "Apache Reverse Proxy" for starters and if I find a decent HowTo I
> will send it out :)
>  -john

I second an Apache reverse proxy.

This helped me out alot:
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/reverseproxies
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html

Also, I think mythweb can run on any webserver, as long as you change
your config to point to the backend, and have mysql configured for
remote connections.

Josh