[mythtv-users] safely exposing mythweb to the net.

Brady liquidgecka at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 08:01:42 UTC 2005

Wow! Everybody loves complicated solutions!

Try this one out:

As root run this command on the firewall,

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i <inf> --dport 5080 -j DNAT
--to <ip address:port>

Replacing <inf> with the interface, like eth0 or eth1, of the Internet
card, and ipaddress:port with the ip address and port of the mythweb
server.

Then to get really secure you can setup a .htpassword and .htoptions
file in the mythweb's /var/www/html directory in order to require a
password to use mythweb. This helps prevent random modification of
your settings.

I use this extensively and it works great =)

It also requires much, much less overhead than running apache as a proxy.