[mythtv-users] Best deal on premade lirc receivers?

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 21:04:06 UTC 2005

A timely topic...

http://www.home-electro.com/buy_it.php

I bought an IRA-3 from these guys and I'm in the process of returning it. I
had a hell of a time trying to get this thing to work with LIRC. I had lots
of configuration hassles and it turns out that libirman (used by LIRC) has a
bug in it that fails to set the proper number of stop bits for an IRMAN
device. I don't know how that slipped by for so long but once I fixed that,
I get the IRA-3 initialized. However, despite all the work I put into it the
particular unit I have seems to be defective. While it initializes
correctly, it can return multiple codes for the same key on the same remote.
I confirmed the problem wasn't my remote (i.e. I see this no matter what
remote I use).

I sent notes to the "info", "sales" and "tech-support" email addresses
asking for help and didn't get any response. Finally had to call them on the
phone and by then I was so upset I just wanted to wash my hands of the
thing.

In summary, I would not recommend this particular reciever although I'm
willing to concede that my case may not be typical.

--
Mike