[mythtv-users] lirc and irrecord die with: irman_init(): Unknown error 4294967293

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 21:12:35 UTC 2005

Sadly, I've been down this road and it was nothing but grief for me.

Try this. Compile libirman and run the 'test_io' program. My guess is you
will get garbage and/or the word 'NO' as output. This is not good. If you
can't get this bit to work then you can forget about LIRC, irrecord, irw,
etc.

What test_io should do is send the characters 'I' and 'R' to the receiver.
This should trigger an initialization of the chip in the receiver and it
should respond with 'OK'. Mine didn't. But I found the problem. If you look
in irio.c (I think it was that one), they don't set the number of stop bits.
If, on you Gentoo machine, the number of stop bits was set correctly to
begin with then you are in good shape. If, like me, you happen to have no
stop bits as the "default" then you are just out of luck.

So, if you add the line to set the stop bits (you have to or the CSTOPB
constant back into the settings, IIRC) then you should be able to run
test_io and get 'OK' as the response.

OK, if you get that far don't be too happy because that is where things went
really south for me. I got the device initialized and after getting 'OK'
from the remote, I was getting my nice 6 byte stream in response to every
button I pressed on the remote. The problem was, I would sometimes get a
different 6 bytes for the same remote key. You can see this with 'test_io'
as well. Just run 'test_io' and hold down a remote key (one the repeats).
Now move the remote around while holding the key down. If your unit is like
mine, you will not get the same code for every key press.

I sincerely hope it works for you and hopefully some of this info will help.
But I'm returning mine...

--
Mike