[mythtv-users] Upgraded to 0.18.1, having ivtv, mythfrontend problems

Alex Harford harford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 00:34:55 UTC 2005

I recently upgraded my mythtv box, and I'm having a few problems.  I
went from FC3 to FC4 using yum, and then upgraded mythtv-suite to
0.18.1 by pointing yum to the ATrpms repository.

This is on a Pundit-R box that was previously working great once it
got set up, but I wanted to get the time scale feature, so I upgraded.

Here's the list:

1) IVTV volume

It wants to set the PVR-350 volume to 64845 when it starts recording a
new show, which is causing distortion because the volume is so high.
Turning it down during playback results in quieter, but still
distorted audio.

Previously I set it in /etc/rc.local with this command:

/usr/bin/ivtvctl -y volume=58950

and things worked just fine.

Has anyone encountered this before?  I only had 1 hit for '64845 ivtv'
in google. :(

2) Realtime priority would require SUID as root.

I get a message in mythfrontend's logfile that "Realtime priority
would require SUID as root."  I set mythfrontend to be suid root with
the 'chmod u+s /usr/bin/mythfrontend' but it didn't seem to do
anything.

ls -l `which mythfrontend` results in:

-rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 1029600 Jun 27 19:00 /usr/bin/mythfrontend

3) Mythfrontend crashing

Occasionally mythfrontend will crash when pressing the Back/Exit
button, or when a show finished.  I'm not sure what logging options to
enable for this one, running 'mythfrontend --verbose general' didn't
put any useful messages in the logfile.  Any suggestions on how to
track this down would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex