[mythtv-users] OT: Probably dumb question about digital sound out

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 01:04:46 UTC 2005

Digital audio is digital audio, correct? As in the the sound in the source
defines the number of channels, not the hardware? I'm finally getting the
stereo I want (I love my wife, best birthday present ever!) with digital in
and all that, but my computer doesn't have digital out. I've had some
motherboard wonkiness anyway, so I was considering just replacing the
motherboard and getting one with digital out and a gigabit ethernet port,
such as the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. The motherboard advertises as "6 Channels"
which I assume they mean 5.1. My stereo is going to be 7.1, but the digital
out on the motherboard will do just fine, right? There's not a difference on
the digital side because it's a straight pass through, correct?