[mythtv-users] MPEG2 Encoded Program Playback Performance w/VIA Unichrome xvmc

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Tue Sep 6 16:51:37 UTC 2005

I have a 1ghz Ezra running :

FC4
kernel-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4
kernel-devel-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4
kernel-module-via-drm-2.6.12-1.1447_FC4-2.6.7-1.ucr
gcc-4.0.1-4.fc4
xorg-x11-6.8.99.900-0.FC4.ucr.2 (rebuilt with gcc32)
xine-lib-1.1.0-0.lvn.3.4.ucr.1
xine-0.99.4-0.lvn.1.4
mythtv-suite-0.18.1-55.at

I have glxinfo reporting direct rendering enabled.

I have xine playing dvds at about 15-20% cpu (that means I run up Gnome
with bubblemon, start up xine and read the value off bubblemon - so
actually xine's usage is a bit lower - maybe 5% or so...), as compared
to 60-80% without h/w acceleration.

I have MythTV set up to use XvMC, but I just get a 'unable to initialize
video' error... - log enclosed...

I would be grateful for any help. I have tried rebuilding the myth SRPM
but it breaks on gcc32 because it doesn't like the '-mtune=pentium4'
that FC4 rpmbuild seems to throw at it and it breaks on gcc4 because
some warning has become an error :-(...

I'd be happy to help anyone on FC4 get to where I am.

Anyone any ideas ?

cheers,

Jules

R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:10:37 -0500, Doug Lim wrote:
>

>>The fact that xvmc support is working properly in general is confirmed
>>by the fact that both DVD and MPEG2-encoded recorded program playback through
>>xine (with -vo xxmc) are putting about 5% load on the CPU.
>>

>What are you using to determine the CPU load?
>I've seen various references to figures but no reference to the
>program/applet which  is being used.
>
>And googling has not produced anything which will compile and install on
>my Via SP13000 with Mandriva 10.2 and KDE
>Geoff
>
>R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
>Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
>Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner
 * Core Developers Network (Europe)