[OT] Re: [mythtv-users] MythNotify suggestions

Kim Wall kim at ductilebiscuit.net
Wed Sep 7 02:11:51 UTC 2005

Mike wrote:
> geek factor is unlimited once you have something you can
> already get at. That is why I would rather have something with unlimited
> access for $100 rather than a device that only does what somebody else
> told it to do. (my main reason for having mythtv in the first place)

FWIW (most likely for any brits reading, as modems that understand BT
caller ID are somewhat rare), I'm doing caller ID using a hacked BT CD50
box that I got for a fiver on ebay...  see:
http://www.eatworms.org.uk/ha/callerid.php

I had to write my own code[1] to decode the CID data and do lookups
against a list of known numbers, but the relevant specs are downloadable
from BT, and shouldn't pose too much of a challenge to a competent
programmer.

kim.

[1] Sadly my CID code is part of a much larger piece of home automation
software, to which I've hacked on a call to mythtvosd, so isn't a
stand-alone app.