[mythtv-users] Watching nuv in windows.

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:53:40 UTC 2005

see comments below.

2005/8/29, Joshua King <jkingkard-hotmail at yahoo.com.au>:
> Here's some (I just went the DSMyth route):
>
> Pros (for DSMyth):
> * Easy to set up and small on Windows and no setup on the backend (with
> MythWeb installed)
> * Streams the recording as is so low performance hit to the backend
> * Supports Live TV

next version will support starting at specific channels using urls,
can be used to create "Watch this channel" links in mythweb.

> * Got some extra support for listing programs, getting descriptions from
> Database, integration with Explorer.

> Cons:
> * Streams the recording so if you use a high bitrate it might be choppy on
> low-bandwidth networks (like wireless).

partialy true, it depends on how you open the file(s).
opening nuv file from samba share without checking "always open file
from backend" in setup will probably be a bit slow yes.

checking that box or using myth:// urls like the ones mythweb provieds
is probably going to be more smooth since that will use a small local
cache (ringbuffer) of the file.

note that i don't have any wierless network to test with, so i could be wrong.

> * Changing channels in Live TV mode is buried -- better off just scheduling
> a recording from MythWeb and starting to watch that.

true, idealy it should be integrated with the mediaplayer.
without help from the player this can cause problems for the mediaplayer.

> * Windows Media Player isn't perfect for it (might try a different player
> like the ticket suggests)
> * Will have some problems with some types of files (like DVB according to
> the news)

yes. if i remeber correctly in v0.10 of the filters and mythtv 0.18
mpeg2 recordings don't update the length properly.
and after 0.18 was released there was some changes in how mpeg2 ps
files is created that made them not work with normal media players.
and now dvb recordings is going to use mpeg2 ts files.

playback of mpeg2 ts files will work in next version (seeking is not
finished yet)