[mythtv-users] A/V Sync issues in recorded programs from PVR-500/PVR-350

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 14:15:21 UTC 2005

For the past several weeks I've been getting A/V sync issues in some (but
not all) recordings from my myth box. It was working great for over a year
with just a single 350 doing recording. I added a 500 to the system and that
was also functioning well for several months. Over that time I was using
various versions of the ivtv driver from 0.3.2 up through 0.3.6w. I finally
settled on running 0.3.6w and that was working for about 2-3 months with no
problems. Suddenly, out of the blue one day, I noticed a few recordings with
A/V sync issues. It appears that, at some random point during the recording,
a small piece of video is missing but the audio is fine. This causes the
video to be slightly ahead of the audio (anywhere from <1 to about 2
seconds). At the time I noticed this I hadn't made any recent changes to the
system.

Since this started I have discovered that one of the tuners on the PVR-500
is bad. I got that card replaced by Hauppage and, as of last week, installed
the replacement 500. I was hoping that maybe the bad card had something to
do with the issues I'm seeing, but last night I found another recording with
the exact same issue. I need to go through and check the log files when the
recording is happening, but it's been difficult to determine exactly when
things were recorded and on which tuner.

I know I haven't provided much information as I'm not at home at the moment,
but I can provide any log files that might be helpful in looking into this
problem. Has anyone seen similar sync issues on recordings? Oh, these are
straight MPEG2 directly from the card, no transcoding is being done, only
commercial flagging. Of the 8-12 recordings a day from my myth box I tend to
see this problem on anywhere from 0 to 3 or 4 of the shows. I'm now running
ivtv 0.3.8 and still seeing the exact same behavior.

Any insight anyone might have is greatly appreciated.

Brad Benson