[mythtv-users] A Noob Question about Remote Control

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:41:32 UTC 2005

On 07/09/05, Jarod Watkins <jarod at jxxtech.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of building a myth system with a backend machine and a
> separate frontend machine.  The backend machine will have either a
> Hauppauge 150 or 250 model connected to a satellite receiver.  Now if
> I have an ir blaster connecting the backend machine to the satellite
> receiver, and then another ir remote for the frontend machine, will
> MythTV know out of the box to controll the backend machine with the
> frontend machine remote or would I have to make some modifications?

Sort-of. (You prob know this bit) You will have a use a simple script
(a channel-change script you can specify when setting up the card, or
later on) to get LIRC to control the IR blaster. You'll also need to
ensure you have the correct remote definitions file for your receiver,
and the correct numbers for each channel you want to record off of the
satellite box (not sure if US users are automatically setup for this).

Therefore, assuming the backend can change channels normally once this
is setup, and the frontend box is connected to the backend, the
channel changing happens completely transparently, both for recordings
and for LiveTV.

Nick