[mythtv-users] Digital sound and volume controll

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 01:10:30 UTC 2005

On 07/09/05, Peter Osterberg <peter at supergirl.se> wrote:
> After a lot of fiddeling the past two weeks I finally got digital sound out
> to work. There is just one thing that I'm wondering now; can I change the
> volume of the outputted digital sound? In my current config none of the
> volume controls work, is it possible to get this to work? I realize that it
> isn't the best thing to "compress" the dynamics of the audio the way you
> would if you change the volume in the computer. I just wonder if it is
> possible to accomplish this... It feels a little awkward to have a volume
> controll in MythTV and not being able to use it....

The digital audio decoding amplifier will be responsible for the
volume levels when using an SPDIF as I understand it with my system
(the SPDIF just outputs a digital stream of the audio data, the
decoder then decodes and amplifies individual channels). Analogue
audio can obviously be controlled using either MythTVs internal
controls or an external mixer like alsamixer.

Nick