[mythtv-users] Can't open video device: /dev/v4l/video1

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Thu Sep 8 09:35:10 UTC 2005

Basic Setup
Backend
nforce2 chipset, 2.2ghz amd sempron
1 pvr 150mce
1 some other cheap capture card used for testing myth some months ago.

Connected is a dish network receiver to the s-video jack on the pvr150
mplayer /dev/v4l/video1 works fine, albiet really slow in a vnc window
(the slow is due to vnc.)

The backend reports when you run it
Can't open video device: /dev/v4l/video1
	and I even did a chmod 777 out of desperation..  It shouldn't be having
issues there...

The frontend gets
RemoteFile::REad() failed in RingBuffer::safe_read()

Does anyone recognize the problem?  I used the firmware on the cd per
some set of directions..

It just seems to me that if mplayer can read it, then myth should when
they are both running as root right now..

-thanks in advance,
-Robert