[mythtv-users] Fastest file system

Sérgio Gomes sergiomdgomes at netcabo.pt
Fri Sep 9 12:38:01 UTC 2005

"Fastest" is a bit relative, some are better in some situations, some
are better in others...

Anyway, Reiser4 should be the fastest overall, and it has full
journaling and atomic writes (which means you should never get your
filesystem corrupted). It's also the newest, however, and could still
have a few bugs left. It's also not available in the mainstream kernel,
so you need to patch your kernel or get a patched one.

ReiserFS (aka Reiser3) is also pretty good, especially when handling
lots of tiny files. Only has metadata journaling (directories and such).
It is a lot better than ext3.

In fact, ext3 is one of the worst in terms of performance.

XFS only has metadata journaling. It's not optimized for your setup
though, it is oriented for very large systems, with very fast disks. It
has some problems with data loss in crashes or power shortages, because
it stores quite a few things in RAM before writing to disk. Definitely
not recommended for your setup.

These are the ones I know, although I've never tried Reiser4 (it was
quite unstable in 64-bit mode until a while ago, so I never used it).

All these systems are (to several degrees) journalled, which means that
system checking should be very fast, under one second or something,
because they keep a log of activities, and they only need to check that
log in case of problems.

As to which, I've had no problems with ReiserFS, and I recommend it. If
you like experimenting, do regular backups, and don't mind using a
relatively new filesystem, then go for Reiser4, it should be the fastest
and best in terms of journalling.

Sérgio Gomes

---