[mythtv-users] Using firewire or usb external drives

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 23:12:01 UTC 2005

Hi,
   I run one of my backends with only 1394 storage for MythTV. It
works fine as long as 1394 itself works. There are many 1394 OHCI
adapters and some hard drives that either don't work or don't work
well under Linux. Make sure, if possible, to get an OHCI adapter using
a TI controller and a drive, if possible, that uses an Oxford bridge
if you can tell what's in it.

   That said my backend runs with a 300GB Maxtor One Touch and it
works fine. The main issue is to ensure it's online at record and
playback time. Build 1394 support as modules and load sbp2 support to
use the drive. After that it's all pretty straight forward.

   I don't think drive performance or file system choices make much
difference at all for something like MythTV. Real bandwidth
requirements are really very low. In your recording two shows and
watching 3 shows at the same time is still less than 5MB/S. Pretty
much anythign will keep up in my experience. More important, I find,
is the stability of the network assuming you're using wireless like we
are. That was the biggest hurdle we faced.

Hope this helps,
Mark