[mythtv-users] mythbackend fails silenty

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Sep 11 07:07:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 11:00:58PM -0700, Bob Weber wrote:
> Hello. I'm running a slave backend, and I cannot get mythbackend on the slave
> to run.
>
> When I run /etc/init.d/mythbackend start, I get a message that it's running,
> but in reality it fails silently. There are no errors in the log file. ps -e
> doesn' show it. It doesn't die in a clean fashion. /etc/init.d/mythbackend
> restart doesn't work. I need to use the "zap" option to convince the system
> that it's dead.
>
> But I can start mythbackend from the command line
> > mythbackend
>
> It starts and connects and everything seems fine. Does anyone know why it
> might be dying, or at least how I can see why? Thanks.

Do a `which mythbackend` and then make sure the DAEMON variable in
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is pointing to the right location.  If DAEMON
is incorrect then the script fails silently.  Running myth manually
would still work because it's in your search path.

Failing that, look at the commands in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and
test them manually one at a time until you find the point of failure.
For example, the script creates a temporary directory, so if that
command failed due to permissions then myth wouldn't run from the
script....