[mythtv-users] Please help!

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Sun Sep 11 23:43:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:43:15 -0400
Tony Paterra <apaterra at gmail.com> wrote:

> So something I noticed...  I took the splitter out of the way and
> and put it directly into the Tivo box...  The behavior was slightly
> better but still not close to clear.  I also tried putting the
> splitter back in the equation and running the Tivo's line to a
> separate TV and the picture is fine.  For some ASCII wiring
> diagrams...

I'm still a bit confused, and coming late to the thread.

no splitter (tivo line) -> tivo = not close to clear
but ..
splitter (tivo line) -> other TV = fine?

A simple splitter by nature, degrades signal quality.
( http://www.swhowto.com/VideoLoss.htm )

I'm not clear whether you've ever been satisfied with the wiring, or
recently added more splitters, etc ..

Irregardless, I'd suggest just forking over $30-50 on bidirectional
amp. Or, haggle with the cable guy, maybe they'll provide it for free.

A mere 8dB gain here at my place, fixed ghosting on one TV (ch 11),
and another TV had several go from "good" to "perfect".

FWIW - as I was rewiring, to speed things up, I grabbed an old coax
cable with push-on F-connectors. I used all 3' of it from the wall to
digital cable box, suddenly 15 of ~200 channels would intermittently
pause w/"one moment please". Turns out it was an RG-59 cable, not
RG-6.

(I can't explain why that RG-59 was unsuitable, don't really care to
investigate .. RG-6 = simple fix).

-Jay