[mythtv-users] MythTV and Apple Cinema Display 23"

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 08:37:19 UTC 2005

Hi!

On 9/12/05, Barry Hee <barryhee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just installed an 23" Apple LCD monitor on my Fedora Core 4 system with
> latest kernel and the image is vertically compressed although width is
> correct. The vertical height is similar to watching a DVD with aspect
> 1:2.35. My recordings are DVB 16:9 and display okay on a 4:3 monitor. Any
> idea why this happens?

I'm not an expert on monitors and modelines, so here are some general thoughts:

My guess is that X11 simply "doesn't know" there's a 16:9 display
connected and treats it as a 4:3 display - thus, 4:3 recordings should
look "squished", as well. (Instead of having borders at the sides.) If
that's the case, you might want to search the list for 16:9 related
questions and/or use Google to find a modeline suitable for the Cinema
Display.

Unfortunately, I'm currently stuck with a 15-year-old 4:3 tube on my
mythbox and have no experience with setting up 16:9 diplays on Myth,
so that's all the assistance I can give you.

Jens