[mythtv-users] PVR-150/500 and bttv?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 02:28:39 UTC 2005

I've read the thread you you mention, and call me
skeptical, but I don't buy it 100%.

Yes, a poor cable signal can cause all sorts of
problems.  But short of doing a comparison between a
PVR-500 in Windows and the same card in Linux, you
just can't say that you have the tuner definitions
100% correct.

I work in the video industry, having worked on a
set-top box, and before that, cable modems.  The main
supplier of tuner chips that we use (starts in "B",
ends in "com", you figure the middle out) is the
absolute worst.

When their datasheet isn't outright lying, it's
missing information, and when the datasheet is
complete, the reference code is totally different.
Then, there's also information that is only given to
the largest customers who pay a ton of money.

Right now, I have a PVR-250 that is of quality that is
much greater than my PVR-500 in the same machine.  The
TV does show that the signal isn't the greatest - but,
when signal runs through the PVR-500, every now and
then I get wavy lines and static, which is not visible
on the TV, or the PVR-250.

Since I have access to the equipment at work, I'll be
bringing home a cable analyzer to check my signal
level, but not everybody has access to this.  I'm
hoping that perhaps an upgrade in the ivtv driver (I'm
using the 0.2 series) will help out.  I might just
have to run a Windows/Linux comparison at some point.

-- Joe

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/17953#17953