[mythtv-users] PVR-150/500 and bttv?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Tue Sep 13 02:48:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 19:28 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
> I've read the thread you you mention, and call me
> skeptical, but I don't buy it 100%.

Neither did I. I know lots of people who get fine reception without
having to hand-crimp every connection. I am skeptical as to how much
that matters except maybe in a few exceptional cases. But I do know just
from my own experience that the signal degrades when splitters are used,
especially at the end of a long run. The PVR-500 also has a splitter
inside it (it must, to the single input to two tuners) and is therefore
more sensitive to signal degradation than is the 150 (same card, single
tuner). This is by no means intended as expert advice, it is merely what
I have observed in my particular setup.

>  I might just
> have to run a Windows/Linux comparison at some point.

I'm all for scientific experimentation to lend credence to or downplay
theories; that would be an interesting test.

--Greg