[mythtv-users] PVR-150/500 and bttv?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 13 03:26:24 UTC 2005

Joe Votour wrote:

>I've read the thread you you mention, and call me
>skeptical, but I don't buy it 100%.

Uhhh.  OK.  If you want to focus on the anthill on top of the mountain
instead of the mountain itself...  The point of quoting that post was
not to say that the tuner definition is correct (considering I don't
have a clue which tuner the OP is using)--it's the other 98% of the
content that gives several tips on how to improve signal quality...  I
assumed that was clear from the fact that I was replying to (and
quoting) Greg's post where he says, "In my case it turned out to be a
signal strength problem."

>Yes, a poor cable signal can cause all sorts of
>problems.  But short of doing a comparison between a
>PVR-500 in Windows and the same card in Linux, you
>just can't say that you have the tuner definitions
>100% correct.

"The tuner definitions are correct according to the tuner datasheets,"
doesn't say that the tuner definitions are 100% correct...  I never
claimed that they were right--only right according to the datasheets...  :)

>I work in the video industry, having worked on a
>set-top box, and before that, cable modems.  The main
>supplier of tuner chips that we use (starts in "B",
>ends in "com", you figure the middle out) is the
>absolute worst.
>
>When their datasheet isn't outright lying, it's
>missing information, and when the datasheet is
>complete, the reference code is totally different.
>Then, there's also information that is only given to
>the largest customers who pay a ton of money.

Excellent.  Then, with your experience in finding the lies and missing
information in datasheets, I can't wait to see a patch for your tuner
definition posted to the V4L list...  I won't be offended if you, or
anyone else, change the definition.  I'll be extremely pleased if
someone finds a better definition.  That's the point of open-source,
anyway.  If I wanted my code to stay as broken as the day I wrote it,
I'd work for a commercial software company.  ;)

>Right now, I have a PVR-250 that is of quality that is
>much greater than my PVR-500 in the same machine.  The
>TV does show that the signal isn't the greatest - but,
>when signal runs through the PVR-500, every now and
>then I get wavy lines and static, which is not visible
>on the TV, or the PVR-250.
>
>Since I have access to the equipment at work, I'll be
>bringing home a cable analyzer to check my signal
>level, but not everybody has access to this.  I'm
>hoping that perhaps an upgrade in the ivtv driver (I'm
>using the 0.2 series) will help out.  I might just
>have to run a Windows/Linux comparison at some point.

Excellent.  I'm looking forward to seeing your results.  I can't do the
Windows/Linux comparison myself--as I don't have Windows or an RF
modulated feed with which to test the tuner.

Mike