[mythtv-users] "Forgets" to check for idle mode so auto-shutdownnot working

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 13 12:58:17 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phill Edwards" <philledwards at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV Users List" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:48 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] "Forgets" to check for idle mode so auto-shutdownnot working

>My auto-shutdown used to work like a charm. Not sure what changed
>along the way but what happens now is that if Myth has been running
>for a few hours the logs don't show "I'm idle now... shutdown will
>occur in 120 seconds" etc unless I restart mythbackend. It's almost as
>if during normal running it's forgetting to check for being idle and
>only a restart of mythbackend will fix it. As soon as I do a restart
>it detects stratight away that it's idle and goes into the normal
>auto-shutdown process.

>Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix for it? I'm on
>0.18.1, FC3, binary ATRPMs.

>Alternatively, I could write a dirty work-around cron script that does
>the mythbackend restart every hour if it's not recording anything.
>Does anyone have an easy shell-script check to see if it's recording?
>Also, if it's transcoding or commercial flagging or
>mythfilldatabase'ing and mythbackend gets restarted does that mess
>stuff up?

>Regards,
>Phill

I have seen this myself when testing a shutdown script. I think the
problem is that when the backend calls the 'ServerHaltCommand' script/program
and it fails to shutdown for some reason the backend them gets into a
state where it doesn't try to shutdown again. I don't see the problem
during normal operation only when something fails in the shutdown script.

Are you sure the 'Server Halt Command' you have set is working properly?

Paul