[mythtv-users] Live TV and backend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Sep 13 13:48:26 UTC 2005

Henry Fleischmann wrote:

> I have just setup my first Mythtv box with frontend and backend on the
> same PC. I'm planning a separate backend configuration and I was
> wondering if I need a capture card in my frontend to watch live tv if
> I have a backend setup with multiple PVR cards? If not, how does LIRC
> work to change channels when surfing? Is it something like:
>
> Remote>LIRC-frontend>Mythtv-frontend>Mythtv-backend>LIRC-backend>cablebox#1

Capture cards live where the mythbackend process runs.  One capture card
is needed for each frontend watching LiveTV and for each in progress
recording.  As far as how LIRC works, LIRC works with the mythfrontend
process to receive input from your remote control.  That is communicated
to the backend process which handles channel changes appropriate for the
tuner being used.

Kevin