[mythtv-users] Controlling multiple cable boxes

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Tue Sep 13 16:49:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 10:58 -0400, Jim Reith wrote:
> At 10:11 AM 9/13/2005, you wrote:
[snip]
> >On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:14:36AM -0400, Brian Long wrote:
> >
> >Along these lines, does anyone know how to control a cable box via
> >direct USB connections? I know my cable box has a USB port, and if I
> >hook up a USB keyboard to it, I can change the channels by hitting the
> >number keys.

The only thing that comes to mind that might be reasonably easy would be

1) First make sure you can do what you need to do with that ordinary usb
keyboard.  Write down those keys and how they work.

2) Find a USB infrared keyboard or a PS2 infrared keyboard with a USB
adapter.  Connect this.

3) Train LIRC to output keycodes to the LIRC emitter as appropriate and
fill in the details.

Now that is less than a direct method, and to be honest, by skimming the
those different keyboard IR receivers to respond to different sets of IR
codes.  Of course, if you can just set the cable box to different sets
of IR codes then you really should just do that, since this would be
adding considerable complexity for little gain.

Perhaps someone can think of a simpler way.