[mythtv-users] mythbackend fails silenty

Graeme Wilford gwilford at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 07:52:50 UTC 2005

I had the exact same problem.

Turned out that running mythbackend on the command line caused it to
pick up mysql.txt from ~root/.mythtv/ and running it via 'service' or
directly via the init script caused it to pick up mysql.txt from
/.mythtv/ This is on FC3.

Wiping out /.mythtv/mysql.txt and linking it back to
~/root/.mythtv/mysql.txt did the trick for me.

Cheers,
Wilf.

On 14/09/05, Bob Weber <rjweber at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 September 2005 12:07 am, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> >
> > Do a `which mythbackend` and then make sure the DAEMON variable in
> > /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is pointing to the right location.  If DAEMON
> > is incorrect then the script fails silently.  Running myth manually
> > would still work because it's in your search path.
> >
> Thanks Chris. The path is /usr/bin/mythbackend, and echoing the command
> from /etc/init.d/mythbackend shows that this is what it's trying to execute.
>
> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid root --exec /usr/bin/mythbackend
> --nic elevel 0 --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/mythbackend.pid --background
> -- --verbose none --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
>
> > Failing that, look at the commands in /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and
> > test them manually one at a time until you find the point of failure.
> > For example, the script creates a temporary directory, so if that
> > command failed due to permissions then myth wouldn't run from the
> > script....
>
> Running this from the command line as root works fine. But
> "/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" fails. Once I get it running, I can kill it,
> and start it from the script just fine.
>
> So what would be different between running the script manually with
> "/etc/init.d/mythbackend start" and directly typing in the command it
> executes?
>
> I do notice that once I get it running, the module ipv6 is loaded, and it
> wasn't before. But loading this module first and trying the script still
> fails. Any ideas anyone?

Me at google