[mythtv-users] Commercial CUT

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 14 16:24:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 07:38:37AM -0500, Mike Daugird wrote:
> Is it possible to have myth CUT OUT commercials instead of skip
> them? It seems that in all my recordings the commercials are still
> there, to save space for putting them on a DVD I would like to
> automatically cut them out. It would be nice to automatically cut
> them out even if they are still on the hard drive to save a little
> space.

I don't think there's a way to *automatically* cut out the commercials
from the recording files. The reason is that you wouldn't want MythTV
to incorrectly identify non-commercials and cut those out along with
real commercials.

You can use "Edit Recording" (at which point you can simply import the
Myth-identified commercial cut points, as well as manually identify
commercial cut points if MythTV gets them wrong), and then
"Transcode". That will cut out the commercials and leave a new
commercial-less file in its place.

--Rob