[mythtv-users] Hello all.. i'm the lastest mythnewb looking for advice :D

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 18:22:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 13:57, Derek Meek wrote:
> I'm new to mythTV and the mailing list - just thought I'd say hello -
>
> and see what you think of the hardware I have in mind for my box.
>
> Here's what i have planned (based off today's prices - some hardware may
> get beefier when i build the box in nov/dec/jan)
>
> MythTV box partslist:
>
> CPU+Mobo: Athlon XP 64 2800 + Mobo
> Storage:  300GB SATA
> Video: Radeon 9200 SE
> RAM: 1GB PC3200
>
> Tv Capture:
> * Hauppauge PVR-350
> * Bt8*8 secondary framegrabber (already have) (audio via linein)

Are you planning on using the PVR-350's TV output?  If so then you only
need a video card that is good enough to get the system loaded and
tested.

I'm building a new system at the moment using an ECS 760GX-M Socket 754
SiS 760 GX Micro ATX AMD motherboard.  It has on board video that
appears to work well enough to get the system built and switch over all
video output to the PVR-350.

Not sure what a Radeon 9200 SE goes for but you might be able to save
some money there.

I really like the PVR-350 output.  I can not tell any difference between
what the cable company sends and what is output by the PVR-350.

Suggest you consider a system that you can expand to at least three
inputs if possible.  Two inputs has worked well but I still get
occasional conflicts.  Also make provisions for additional storage.  You
will probably want it later on.  Use LVM so you can expand the /video
partition easily.

Now I need to go figure out how to configure and test the PVR-500 card.
:)