[mythtv-users] Hello all.. i'm the lastest mythnewb looking for advice :D

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 14 18:50:07 UTC 2005

On 09/14/05 14:27, Derek Meek wrote:

>For reference I hate nVidia cards with a burning passion
>
>/open source game developer

Well, if you're willing to stick with only having support for the parts
of the card that have been reverse engineered by open-source developers,
ATI may be much better.  However, when you're talking about the
proprietary drivers, NVIDIA's are--without a doubt--much better than ATI's.

As a game developer, you should see the advantage in using NVIDIA's
proprietary drivers over ATI's proprietary drivers from a simple feature
comparison.  As I mentioned before--I, like you, am an ATI fan-boy--but,
until ATI provides proper support for Linux, I'll vote with my wallet.
There's no sense in buying an expensive video card from ATI and not
being able to use its features just so you don't have to have an NVIDIA
card.  At least with the NVIDIA card, you can use its features.  But,
hey, it's your money...

It's still painful to see my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro working as an expensive
framebuffer in a Linux box.  I bought it for a system that I could
dual-boot to Windows for games (so at least I got to use the features
sometimes), but now that I'm replacing my gaming system, I have a $400
framebuffer (in a system that doesn't really need a monitor at all)...
I can't even roll down the gaming box to replace my Myth box for my HDTV
upgrade because the ATI drivers don't provide the functionality I need.

Mike