[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:17:59 UTC 2005

Hello all -

I'm finishing up the parts list for a home theater PC to run Myth. Primary
usage will be as a front-end to feed the HDTV. I plan to use DVI to connect
to the TV.

Here's my parts list, hopefully if I've made any glarring mistakes or
ommisions, someone can clue me in:

Mother Board: *ASUS P5LD2-VM Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel
Motherboard*
CPU: *Intel Pentium 4 650 (3.4 GHz, HT) Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA
775 EM64T Processor *
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered
DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel*
Video Card: *MSI FX5200-TD128LF Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X*
***
*Case: generic for now, one I have already. Later: *AHANIX MCE301B-A Black
Aluminum MicroATX*
DVD-R: one I have already
Hard disk: use a spare, then none.

Capture in back-end: PC HD-3000 for OTA ATSC (or possibly unencrypted QAM
from cable)

I will start out using a spare disk until it is all working, then I plan to
make it diskless and have it mount the needed OS file systems over NFS.

What have I missed?

I saw there are lots of Nvidia 5200FX based cards and also higher numberd
GPUs (ie 5600...) These had varying amounts of memory and core speeds, etc.
Does any of that make a difference for HDTV out? Are there any brand
favorites here or brands to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions!