[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 15 07:10:38 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 18:56, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

> [nVidia 6xxx and 7xxx cards]
>
> i> Myth uses the 'video texture adapter' by default on these newer boards,
> and i> the only thing missing is support for adjusting the
> contrast/brightness/etc i> through Xv.  No tearing, performance is exactly
> the same as with older i> hardware, and there's no colorkey to show up at
> odd times. =)
>
> i> I have a 6600gt in my dev box, and it has absolutely no problem playing
> HD i> video.
>

>         That's interesting.  I have a 6600 and it (mostly the X
> server) is just maxing out an Athlon64 3500+ when playing a 720p video
> in a 1920x1080 display.  It plays fine but there's no headroom
> (eg. for >1.0x timestretch).  Playing a 1080i video uses less CPU.  I
> had been assuming this was due to inadequate Xv support since an older
> card (PCX5300) was using much less CPU for 720p.  (Unfortunately, the
> video quality of the older card was really bad at 1920x1080 so I had
> to return it.)

If my memory serves correctly, my A64 3500 w/a PCI-Express 6600GT gets pegged
more (percentage-wise) on HDTV playback than does my Athlon XP 3200 w/an AGP
6200, with very similar configurations between the two. I'll have to
double-check what sort of cpu usage the 3200 is getting on both 1080i and
720p content now that I've bumped it to FC4, push a 1080p display and use no
deint filter...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com