[mythtv-users] Exit and shutdown

Adam Egger adam.egger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:37:05 UTC 2005

On 9/14/05, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> Once I did that, I no longer see the "Exit and
> Shutdown" option in mythfrontend. Why did it go away?

This feature is only there if you use separated machines for your
frontend and for your backend. On a FE+BE machine it doesn't appear
(unfortunately). There are of course reasons for not allowing a
shutdown on a FE+BE machine, but I always wanted to be able to
shutdown the PC with my remote after watching a few recordings. I
always turn off my PC over night so I just changed one line in the
code. Now I'm able to see Exit and Shutdown in the Exit menu.

Why don't we allow it if there's sometimes a need for something like
this? Many of us just use a FE on the same PC where the BE lives and
many of us turn of the PCs sometimes.

Greg if you're using 0.18.1 just change the line 471 in main.cpp in
mythfrontend from
 	    if (!backendOnLocalhost) to
# 	    if (!backendOnLocalhost)

http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-18-fixes/mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp#l471

So it looks like this:

 	    DialogBox diag(gContext->GetMainWindow(), title);
 	    diag.AddButton(QObject::tr("No"));
 	    diag.AddButton(QObject::tr("Yes, Exit now"));
# 	    if (!backendOnLocalhost)
 	        diag.AddButton(QObject::tr("Yes, Exit and Shutdown"));

I can send you a patch if you don't know how to handle with the source directly.

HTH,
Adam